Friday, December 30, 2011

Setting the bar a little lower...

Here's who I am:
A 26 year old, married to a tall, handsome & bearded thing that keeps me laughing every day; co-owner of a pie shop; worker of a full-time gig in a death box, I mean cubicle; chronic mess-maker; wannabe gourmet; craft supply hoarder; a soul-dichotomy in that I'm convinced I'm at once a 7 year old and a 90 year old inhabiting the same body. If I have work to do, you'll likely see the 7 year old, but if its 9 PM or you ask me to sit still for long, out comes Grandma (and watch out, I hear she snores).

Here's what I'm up to:
- Keeping an online journal, every day for a full year (Jan 1 - Dec 31 2012), comprised of only a few short sentences per day.

Here's why I'm doing it:
- I'm hopelessly addicted to perfection in projects, which I usually deem unattainable, which then usually leads to non-completion of perfection in said projects. Its a problem, folks.
- As a result of the aforementioned affliction, I'm a chronic journal-starter, never a journal-finisher.
- I plan on making this a year of things I want to remember. Figured I might as well figure out a way to record all the fun, without the pressures of perfectly decorated scrapbook pages, organized photo albums, or lengthy hand-written journals that hurt my brain and give me hand cramps.
- The way I see it, its kind of like reality television. If you know the cameras are on and your life will soon be on review, you start to make your own record-worthy adventures.  PSA Time: this reference does not indicate any scandalous affairs, girl fights or drunken debauchery in my near (...or far) future. That's for people who get paid to be awful and/or orange-tinged people hailing from NJ. *Cue rainbow and "the more you know" song*

Here's how we will play the game:
- Give myself permission to be imperfect. For the sake of actually finishing something, I have to be honest with myself that some days, I won't make it to the computer to update the blog, or some days, I may honestly have nothing of any value to say. So while I intend to write SOMETHING every day, I'm giving myself the freedom to accept that it may not always be on time, eloquent, or publish-worthy, but it will be honest.
- Throw in a few pictures here and there. I'm not crazy enough to think I can stick to a photo every day, but I was blessed with a camera for Christmas, so in the hopes of putting it to good use, this will also be my forum for displaying the visual aspects of my crazy life.
- Be honest. Whats the point in keeping a record if it isn't an accurate one? It could get ugly, ladies and gents, but at least it'll be real!

Take a seat, grab some snacks and enjoy the show!

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment