Sunday, September 2, 2012

Summer Days, Having A Blast (enough to avoid blogging for a month and a half...)

So, Summer. Good Times. Seriously, I love ya. However, my capacity to document your wonders leaves much to be desired. So, in an attempt to salvage the last 4 months of the year, Here's the best summary I can give...
June
Husband applying, applying, applying; interviews, but no jobs
Best Friend, on the other hand: HIRED! Signed on as full-time 9th grade Biology teacher - so proud!
Made my first attempt at a gluten free feast for my dad for Father's Day. Fried Chicken: success! Rolls: yeah....no.
First Father's Day without Husband's dad - tough.
Finished our taxes. Exciting, right?
Played our first bluegrass gig in a quite a few months, and luckily we had a pretty forgiving audience (a good friend's family reunion)
I missed out on Hub's family's camping/river float trip since I had to work at the pie shop. Color me like 23 shades of jealous.
Spent an entire day deep-cleaning the pie shop. Its exactly as much fun as it sounds.
Spent a good amount of time outside, since it wasn't sweltering yet.
Watched Mission Impossible outside in downtown FW, complete with gourmet cupcakes and best friends.
Closed out the month with a big  pool party with our fabulous CLC family!


July
Made some awesome-looking (and tasting) patriotic pies for the Shop.
Spent the 4th working a little and playing a lot. Closed out the day at Burleson's annual fireworks show with my lifemates. Best part: the butterscotch cookies we inhaled. Worst part: good seats apparently also put you right in the falling debris field. Nothing like fireworks in your hair!
"Read" (listened to) The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Not all new information, but still eye-opening. Made me want to learn to hunt, actually!
Our pie baby turned 3! We may be a little beat up and bruised, but our friendship and our business is still standing after 3 years, so that's going down as a success in my book!
After our pie shop birthday party, we headed out of town for a little r&r with our business partners/lifemates. We stayed in an RV, which is ideal camping in TX Summer, grilled out, watched movies, played games, ate snowcones, floated the river, got burned, swam some more, and all tried to find excuses for us to stay longer.
Reunited with our Hawaii-TX-Now-NC-bound friends, the Whitakers, who were back on TX soil for a bit before their next adventure
Had a grocery store/cooking double date, on which I ate one of the best burgers I've ever had. So good!
Best friend's turned a year older - we gave her 27th a year a good start with Yoo-Hoo, donuts, flowers and cotton candy
Started a book that would flip my comfy little world upside down: 7, by Jen Hatmaker. More on this later.
Met with a dear, sweet friend of mine, who God has gifted so well as a mentor. Thankful for a meeting of honestly, prayerful advice and shared blessings
Drove out to a cabin in the middle of nowhere to hang out with our favorite Whitakers and the rest of our "second family". We shot some guns, ate good food, and played Nertz until an ungodly morning hour, then attempted to drive home. Short but worth it.(oh, and I ate a salad! And I liked it!)
Spent a rainy Sunday hanging out on the in-laws porch, playing cards, snuggling the baby and loving TX country afternoons
Husband shaved his beard for an important interview. He almost cried. Surprisingly, so did I. (And we didn't get the job)
Took a photography class! Never taken so many photos of an apple in all of my life!
"I am the consumer the poor world and the responsible world and the world itself can't stand or sustain any longer. How will I answer for my choices when God confronts them one day? With this much expendable income funding restaurants, show stores, and movie theaters, I doubt Jesus will accept my excuses for neglecting the poor on account of cash flow." - from 7. OUCH.
Ran a 5k, with water guns. 'Nuff said.
POTTERPALOOZA! 2 days of Harry Potter, 2 days of nonstop eating (including HP themed delicacies!)
After that binge fest, and with much consideration, we embarked on 30 days of Real Food - no sugar, no refined flours or oils, no chemicals or preservatives, etc. Eek!

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment