Friday, April 13, 2012

March 25 - 31 - The Day I Got Lost In Life, part 3

Mar 25 - This would be the day I got asked about being Jewish at least 3 times. Odd as it may seem, this is not particularly surprising. In an attempt to get a little more stuff out of our garage, we extended the garage sale through Sunday. The more popular wares included a few Jewish cookbooks, which led to questions about my religion, which led to probably-more-obvious-than-intended looks of confusion as I held a Bible in my lap (I had "church" in my front yard - this is a grand idea, btw). Then.....HUNGER GAMES! It was excellent. I may have cried. Ahem. And then we celebrated my favorite TX spring traditions: patios!

Mar 26 - Let the patios continue! Any patio + good food + even better friends = a beautiful evening. This one was particularly special since it involved two lovely ladies I haven't seen in over a year, two sorority sisters from college. It was a  bittersweet reminder that we don't appreciate things (or people in this case) nearly as much as we should while we have them. We spent hours chatting about college days, and coming up with various ways we can convince other people to fund our alma mater. Looking forward to more of these visits, and maybe a pledge class reunion in the near future!

Mar 27 - Best Friend got her first slap in the face by the Dangerous Minds realities of public school (find the humor, not the offense, ha) when she witnessed a hall fight, then got sucker-punched with the apathy that only teenagers + homework can bring. Lord, protect her Michelle Pfieffer heart and clothe her with your tough leather jacket of protection. May she teach those choir kids how to sing your praise...oh wait. Wrong movie. And for a dose of bad adult behavior, we went to my little brother's track meet, where the kids had a great talent for running races, and parents had a great talent for nearly ruining them. Lord, help us all. And that's for real. (Landon won 3rd place though! Go bro, go!) Grabbed a late night dinner with my parents and a very sleepy little runner, then headed home, happy, full and thankful my parents were never those parents.

March 28 - I spent most of the day trying to convince myself that I did NOT need tacos for dinner. As usual, this plan totally failed, and I indulged. The good taste barely outweighed the guilt. We also had a double dose of Bible study, as we did two weeks' worth of sessions from our study on James. If you've ever done a Beth Moore study, you know that one session can pack enough of a punch on its own, but by the end of two, I was all at once full of inspiration and drained of mental energy. When this is centered around how God may be working in your life, its a good, good feeling. I've started coming home from these lessons and sharing my "pearls" with my husband. Its becoming a ritual most cherished, and one I hope continues beyond the realm of this study.

March 29 - The day that went absolutely nowhere. I can't talk much about my job, but I can say that 99% of my work involves a computer. So, when my computer crashes at 9:30 AM, you just KNOW it's going to be a grrreat day (don't slip in my puddle of sarcasm there). Positives: business luncheon (read: bread basket and a 2 hr lunch break)...as for my work day, that's all the positive I've got. They had to rebuild my computer, which I got back around 4:30. Luckily, the day's prospects brightened with every mile closer to my home. Husband ordered pizza, we worked in the garden, my beautiful Cross Dragon vines began to bloom and we got a chance to crash, exhausted and happy, on the couch. Again, Again! :)

March 30 - Rebuilt computer = new screen saver! The downside of that being that I wanted to sit and watch the slideshow I created of iPhone pics. Ha. Post-work, I got to visit Best Friend's basement classroom! She started very late in the year so technically, it doesn't feel like "hers". We'll fix that next year, though. It finally hit home, though, how very much lies on the shoulders of the teachers regarding classroom supplies. Its a disservice to their craft, and I wish more people understood and would help. We followed this with week 2 of our new Sno-Cone tradition. Apparently, a rusty picnic table and cups of flavored shaved ice are quite conducive to good conversation. Followed this up with Chinese food and a pleasant spring evening drive with the hubs. I'm getting very good at this weekend kick-off thing!

March 31 - Finally made a hint of progress on the blog! Hey, a step is a step, no matter how small. :) Today was loaded with an array of spring goodness. It was the kind of day where I wish I could photo-document every second. Started with pie, of the strawberry sort, which was just a piece of a morning of baking. I had to go to my desk job for a couple of hours, but even that wasn't enough to deter me. Went to my little bro's baseball game, watched him hit a single, then steal 2nd AND 3rd, that guy. We wrapped up the day in the most perfect way, with friends at the drive-in, watching Mirror Mirror and the Lorax. The movies were good (confession: I fell asleep halfway through the Lorax, but this should surprise no one who knows me and my late night movie habits), but the company (and free popcorn!) was better. Also, put a mark in the "pro" column for "Friends with Minivans". Turns out they're excellent drive-in material!

Highlights:
1) Every night this week involved some sort of horrible, unhealthy food. Did you know when you are NOT running 15-18 miles per week, this catches up with you? Just ask my thighs.

2) I am in LOVE with fall. We have a special bond, really. But Spring...its doing quite a job of wooing me with its pleasant weather, fragrant blooms, and as it happens, multiple patios. I feel like I'm cheating on my beloved! This may be irrational,but I bet there's at least a few season loyals who can relate.

3) The garden is officially reignited! We have lettuce, squash, cucumbers, cilantro, grean beans and more that are slowly stretching their pretty little leaves skyward. This process never ceases to amaze me. Also, I will kill any squirrels who try and ruin this for me. Furry little rats.

Love & Springtime Musings,
K


No comments:

Post a Comment