Friday, May 25, 2012

May 24 - The Day My Husband Yelled

May, the month in which I am missing 20 days of blogging, is both my favorite and least favorite month. Pros: birthdays, swimming weather, grilling out, not deathly hot. Cons: everyone and their mom is throwing a party (myself included, so I can't be too mad), having a program, graduation,recital, playoff, end-of-term whatever. So. Flippin. Busy. Now, I should make a disclaimer that I actually like supporting my family and friends in all these events. I just wish they weren't all smashed into one thirty day period. Husband and I rushed around all day with the hope of meeting up for a semi-calm dinner before jaunting off to the little bro's end-of-year concert. Thanks to my prep work on Wednesday, the meal came together quickly ("meatball melties", made with ground elk, garlic toasted english muffins, pesto jack cheese and the homemade marinara). Husband walked in the door, and we sat down to quickly eat, and about 60 seconds into our meal, the phone rings - he has a softball game. In 20 minutes. In Arlington. Oops! No choir concert for him; he stopped mid-bite to throw on his gear, but not before calmly telling me that he was going to yell and that I shouldn't worry. Then he made his way into our room and yelled at the top of his lungs. He didn't need to explain, I totally got it. I think it helped a little. Sometimes I wish I could do that a few times during the day. Vocal therapy. I do think that this is the first time, though, in our almost 4 years of marriage that I've heard him do so. May, you will not beat us. We may need to take a yell-break at your incessant rush-inducing busyness, but we'll win. In the meantime, plug your ears cause the month's not over and the calendar is only getting fuller.

Highlights:
1) Ground elk - first time cooking that! For the price and the calories, not something I'll likely do again (though it was 100% grass fed and organic).

2) Little brother's choir concert - group of 8-13 year-olds dressed in what I can only describe as Americana clothing (read: overalls and prairie dresses) singing folk songs. Best free entertainment I've had in awhile ;)

3) I must've said something right, because I got the boys in my house to help me clean. I think it was the hint of crazy, and possible cracking, at the clutter in my living room that did it. Note to self: crazy totally works. I'll say it again, roommates are like training ground for parenting. Lord, give me daughters. But I do totally love those boys. Also stayed up way too late talking. But, when you're tracing God's scarlet scribbles in the pages of your story, the time just doesn't seem to matter, in the best kind of way.

Love and May Crazy,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment