Friday, October 5, 2012

October 3 - The Day of Donuts, Duels & Deep Weirdo Stares

Sometimes I feel like I've lost the ability to succinctly and interestingly sum up my days. And what's frustrating about this is that it was a beautiful, wonderful day, well worth a little delving into.  Oh well.

As I recount how my hours were actually spent, though, I realized just how busy I was. And how most days that were that jam-packed would've left me drained. And how much a dose of good will offset all the bad tossed my way. This kind of retrospection rings with the truth that your life, your day, your time, it's all what you make it. Your day is the ship, and your attitude is the sail. Hope you enjoyed that little slice of philosophical cheese...

So, as obviously inferred above, the day held a lot of work. Work work, pie shop work, cleaning my messy kitchen work. The boss lady brought donuts, which added with guilt-walking off said donuts, helped  the work work thing. Once that wrapped up, I headed to the shop to help that handsome hubby of mine with pie shop cooking. Side note: I have a strong smell memory tied to onions sauteing in butter. Brings up warm and bubbly feelings of holiday cooking, and my first cooking lessons (which, coincidentally, occurred in the fall, making another seasonal tie to this otherwise normal kitchen aroma). Combine that moment of sensory stimulation with the slight crisp in the air as dusk fell - I was one happy fall-loving lady.

We spent the evening at the park with our church family. I ate far more pizza than I should have, but the day's donuts (and tiny slice of pie....don't judge me!) weren't holding me over very well.  I held my sweet, sweet nephew, who giggled (and sometimes growled, my favorite trait of his), cooed and snuggled up on my chest. Oh goodness, how love that baby and his kissable little rolls!


His older brother was not so accepting of my kisses, so like any good aunt, I threatened him with a sword. Not one to back down from mock violence of any sort, he accepted my invitation for a duel. After seeing I was not going to be allowed to come away the victor, I let surrendered and he walked away with his tiny puffed out chest and thanked me for his victory. Ha! I hope he never loses that imagination.

I've had my fall decor out for 3 days now, but only got as far as pulling things out of boxes. I just couldn't drum up the motivation to finish (or really start for that matter). This night was different, though. I needed my home to reflect the dancing leaves (butterflies are for spring; fall gets dancing leaves) inside my chest. So, its not all the way done, but there's finally some symbiosis between my heart and this house. I've always said my home looks her best when dressed for fall. If you'd see it, you'd know. Like me, she was made for Autumn.

Highlights:
1) Best: Husband somehow got to singing that classy 90s tune, Sex & Candy by Marcy Playground. A line in the lyrics reads "Who's that casting devious stares in my direction?". I caught hubs singing "Who's that casting deep weirdo stares in my direction?" I died. Maybe it was the late hour at which this occurred, or his sincere surprise at my challenging his accuracy, but I couldn't stop laughing.

2) I blogged again. Hooray! It was half a month smooshed into a post. And it wasn't very detailed. Should we be celebrating this level of mediocrity? Ha.

3) A branch fell right in front of my doorway. Normally, I would find this annoying, but thanks to the plethora of ripe pecans that also fell in front of my doorway, I'll forgive my resident flora for their intrusion. Pecans...mmm.

Love & Misheard Lyrical Goodness,

K



No comments:

Post a Comment