Wednesday, October 3, 2012

September, part 1: Waiting, Rejoicing, and the Inbetween

There are few flips of the calendar pages that make me as happy as moving from August to September. It's the gateway for my hands-down favorite part of the year - crisp breezes, falling leaves, all things pumpkin, chili, fleece, hayrides, Thanksgiving through Christmas. The "-ber" months have it, y'all.

But, this is TX, so we rang in the first week with 100+ temps, of course. In an effort to live the dwindling (hopefully?) days of summer, we spent a good amount of time outdoors, complete with pond swims and barbeques. Labor Day was wonderful, spent sleeping in and having a pancake & waffle feast with family. It also was the first time this year I busted out It's A Wonderful Life. I know, its too early for Christmas, but you can't tell me that movie doesn't give you feel-good vibes, which are seasonally-unbiased, in my opinion.

On the 4th, Jon took that all important test for the newly-opened-door job (see last post). Then we waited and waited. And waited some more. Test results wouldn't be in for 7-10 days, but that didn't stop us from checking scores starting the afternoon of test day.

My sweet little men started fall ball, including t-ball for my nephew. Let me just say, I've never seen anything so dadgum cute in my life. T-ball is my new fav, hands down (after all, I can totally relate to the distracting importance of a nearby butterfly vs actually paying attention to some game).

Back to the test, we waited even more and on Friday, I finally got the call - he passed!! No contract yet signed, but the job was his for all intents and purposes. *breathes huge sigh of relief*. I'd love to say I was so trusting and calm during this wait, but I'd also love to say I'm the queen of England, and neither would be true. I was the picture of an anxious child who chose tantrums over trust. Nevertheless, I hung my head and said thank you, and I'm sorry, and I'll do better next time. He didn't wait long to take me up on that offer, but more on that later...

This call came right on time for me to head out and actually be able to enjoy the weekend with two of my long-time pals.  Friday evening we relived a bit of high school with a sleepover at L's parents house, including watching old videos, laughing at ridiculous pictures and performing dramatic readings of letters we once wrote to one another (my favorite - and boy was I dramatic at 15. Good thing that wore off...ahem). Saturday we busted out of bed bright and early to head to Fredericksburg, with an end destination of Burnett, TX. Saturday, in one summarized list: Driving, window-shopping, Funyuns, local coffee, non-existent marble falls, hiking Enchanted Rock, getting lost on Enchanted Rock, mountain side adventuring, showers, rocking chairs, local wine, live tunes, YouTube videos, unbelievable canopy of stars, sleepy girls. It was a wonderful, wonderful day. We wrapped up the weekend with an early wake-up call to catch the sunrise from our cabin's porch. Followed this up with an impromptu photo session and then the quiet drive back home (with a stop for some delish BBQ). I cherish my time with these ladies, and the cord God has tied between our hearts. I pray I never take that for granted.

I also fell in love with my camera again that weekend. I snapped an embarrassing number of pictures over those two days, and I didn't feel like stopping once I got home. I decided to annoy the heck out of my in-laws by snapping up photos of all of them (puppy included) as we all soaked up the gorgeous weather. I even gave my little SIL a quick lesson on photography (the blind leading the blind). After reviewing the many photos, some turned out good, some not so good, but I'm OK with knowing there's no way to get better unless you just keep clicking.

Its kind of a theme I've got going on right now, a hard one for a perfectionist, type-A to accept.  Sometimes, you'll think its all lined up right, conditions are good, but the shot still ends up crappy. And we move on, knowing that the good and the bad mean the same thing - you're trying.

The 2nd week passed with a little less fanfare and a lot more busyness. We said goodby to some of our dear, sweet friends who were taking a huge leap of faith/adventure/greatness by packing up their stuff and moving to California. So we sent them off with late night pancakes and a packing party. Also, we got three champagne glasses and a wooden cat (left ninja style on our car after we had gone to bed) out of the deal. We'll miss them, but its a good thing to see boldness in the people you love.

So, praying, waiting, laughing, rejoicing, thanking...not a bad way to kick off the first half of the month.

Love & Learning to Obey,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment