Friday, March 30, 2012

March 11 - March 17 - The Days I Got Lost In Life, part 1

Well..here we are. You know what happens when you put something off until tomorrow? Nearly three weeks pass and you get super behind on your blog, that's what.

I didn't mean for it to happen. Well, does anyone ever really mean for these things to happen? Sigh. But, I said from the get-go, no apologies. So, let's begin! Three weeks of life in 19+ short paragraphs and two reeeeally long post. And....GO:

March 11 - Did you know that diapers are stupid expensive? I think its an ironic piece of modern culture that one of our most costly necessities is built specifically to catch poop and CYA. Ha. ANYWAY, my sweet nephew Roston will be, ahem, well-covered for awhile thanks to a lovely diaper shower thrown by a few awesome ladies from our church body. Aside from running behind (what's new?) with getting my gift together, it was a beautiful day of fellowship and celebrating new life. You can never get enough of that!

March 12 - Back to the grindstone. Combine a lovely monthly rush of hormones with exhaustion from the weekend before, I was quite the angry bear. Poor husband. Why do we always give the most crap to those closest to us? Luckily, best friend does not judge, she just watches the new Footloose with me and keeps silent while I work out my own grumpy-ness. BTW, movie was great. Friends and husbands who overlook your crazy are even greater.

March 13 - Small group put love into action, in more than one way on this Tuesday. My mother-in-law is looking to move closer to her daughter after my father-in-law's passing. Their shared house is in need of a little TLC, and our small group stepped up to the plate. It speaks volume to me that I have friends and fellow life-journeymen that will sacrifice their time and energy for Jon and I (2nd hand) and even further, for someone most of them had never met. Lots left to do be done, but the work is started and that's half the battle. Oh, and I decided to start training for a 10k in April!

March 14 - Today involved a last-minute decision that has shaped the 16 days since then, and I'm so very grateful for the push in the right direction.  I ran from work to run a few errands for Roston's upcoming shower (cheese shopping!). I found out the day before about a Bible study that was starting, a Beth Moore study on James being led by my mother. Running late from my errands, I had tossed out the idea of getting to participate. I called my husband, lamented my woes, and he urged me to go, so I did. Best idea. More to come on this!

March 15 - Preparation: what the type A side of me loves and the right brain side of me tries to smash to pieces. Those two, always fighting! Today, though, they put aside their differences and did a little tango that resulted in a beautifully prepared party for that sweet baby I keep mentioning. We got together, three days in advance, to lay out all the decor. It was most certainly a group effort, but the creativity went to work and the burlap flowed like honey. :) It was beautiful, and best of all, it was DONE by the time the actual shower rolled around! Left brain, you win this round, fo' sho'.

March 16 - Play ball! Husband joined a softball team with friends from church (and beyond) and tonight was their first game - it was so much fun! I enjoyed it much more than I thought I might, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Hopefully each game won't end with a giant scrape down the hub's leg (he slid into home and totally got jipped with an out), but the win was nice! Ended the long day with a late-night dinner with family. Also discovered Portlandia tonight. Where have I been? Put. A. Bird. On. It.

March 17 - Shower day! My soon-to-arrive new lil' man got quite the party, and for once, I wasn't running behind for the party! That is one for the record books. I handled the food for the bash, and it went like this: stuffed mushrooms, gourmet cheese buffet, baked brie with pesto, fire-roasted peppers and pine nuts, baked brie with raspberry preserves & pecans, marinated olives, fresh veggie tray, fresh fruit tray, chili citrus meatballs and cheesecake! (and kudos to my other sis-in-law for her immeasurable help putting the spread together!) Roston was showered with beautiful gifts, and you just know he's loved so much already! Blessings overflow. Like the blessing of a 3 hour nap after the shower was over. :)

Highlights:
1) I attempted to catch up on blogging during this week but....ha. you know the rest.

2) I started the Hunger Games!! So flippin' good. I've gotten old enough, though, that my tired eyes usually outweigh my desire to stay up all night and finish more chapters. That may or may not have been temporary, however. Tune in for part 2.

3) There was a naked guy on our block. There's not much of a story to it, but I'd say it's memorable, wouldn't you?

Love & Finally Getting Crap Done,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment