Thursday, March 1, 2012

Feb 25 - The Day We Went Local

Inspired by my current read, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Husband and I had made plans early in the week to take a trip to the farmer's market for some fresh produce/local goods. I asked him on Friday if, given the situation, he would still be up for it. He agreed it might prove a nice distraction. Grief may stop you in your tracks, but biology keeps on ticking and thus you have to eat. Might as well eat something good for you and good tasting, yes? We took our time perusing the growers' tables, seeing everything from radishes and swiss chard to goat cheese and artisan breads. We chose a few items we knew, a few we had never cooked, and of course, one to snack on in the car (coffee cake from Artisan Bread Co). Now were left with the task of figuring out how to cook half the veggies we had just purchased, which included baby carrots (like REAL baby carrots, not shaved down big carrots!), radishes, swiss chard, two types of lettuce, arugula, purple onions and garlic leeks. After our excursion, I worked at the shop the rest of the day for what would be our LAST evening shift before our permanent hours change (NO MORE NIGHTS)! Can you hear the Hallelujah Chorus, too or is that just me??

Highlights:
1) Worked my fingers to the bone whipping out the handmade invites for my nephew's "bless the nest" shower. Every time I get into the throws of these projects I am revisited by the overwhelming desire to just buy the suckers next time. Of course, this rationale escapes me when the next party comes around. And for the record, I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

2) Husband went to Monster Jam with the boys in my family. Apparently, the trucks were big. I know this because the next day, when I asked my nephew about their size, he replied, "They were bigger than my dad!" That's pretty dang big, y'all, especially when you're 4.

3) Husband also spent the afternoon with a friend who unfortunately was a few steps ahead of Jon on the very same path. He lost his father figure just a few short weeks before, in addition to several other large personal losses. I told him later that I am sad that he had to go through that, but simultaneously so glad that he knows exactly how to pray for Jon. In everything, a purpose.

Love & Local Fare,
K

1 comment:

  1. Artisan Bread Co. SWOON! I love their shortbread. Outrageous and simple at the same time.

    ReplyDelete