Friday, January 27, 2012

Jan 26 - The Day Lake Brought the Sunshine

After visiting with Jeff & an officially induced Steph, we headed to bed on Wednesday night close to 11. Thoughts of soon-to-be-born cousins danced in my head, but little did I know how soon! I woke with a start around 3:45 to both of our phones ringing – things were moving quicker than expected and Lake was really on his way! I laid in bed for a few minutes, sleepily trying to decide if I was going to get up and go, but it was a rather short (and useless) debate, and within about 15 minutes I was headed out the door, while Jon slept soundly. The roads were empty and slick with rain, the skies still heavy with the storms from the day before. I got to the hospital doors we had entered through the night before, only to find them locked tight! Thank God, a hospital employee arrived at the same time I did and let me in. Dressed for work (in heels), I click-clacked through the empty corridors, walk-running my way to join Lake’s [arm-waving] welcome party. Two of my aunts (the third, grandma-to-be was in the delivery room), my uncle, and Steph’s best friend were there anxiously waiting, and the other set of grandparents soon joined our party. We eagerly watched through the small glass panes of the L&D hallway doors, jumping at any movement from anyone dressed in blue scrubs. We didn’t wait long, though: at 4:41, we got the text: HE’S HERE! The following moments were filled with hugs, near-tears, and photos, and soon, a very proud new Grandma, followed by an even prouder new daddy, emerged to tell us that sweet Lake had arrived, had a bit of trouble working out those new lungs, but otherwise he was doing great. Soon, the great-grandparents arrived to join the celebration. We got to see photos, we ooh’d and ahh’d, but we needed to see that little man in person! We not so patiently waited and were soon rewarded with a personal appearance and finally set eyes on our newest loved one. He is GORGEOUS! It never ceases to amaze me how God orchestrates that whole process. If that child only knew, and I hope someday he will, how many prayers have already been spoken for him, and just how much love welcomed him. Already blessed, indeed!

I decided to head to work a little early, to beat the traffic and make sure I could leave on time (to get back there!). After grabbing a very large, much needed cup of coffee, I was on my way. I watched the sun come up and the skies begin to clear. I sat at my desk, looking out on a bright morning and listened to co-workers chat about what a nice day it was shaping up to be, and I had to agree. The rain had gone, a new life had come and he brought a beautiful, sunshiny day with him. Welcome to the world, Lake Maxfield Brannon! May you carry that brightness with you all the days of your lovely little life.


Highlights:
1) Longest. Workday. Ever. Once the adrenaline wore off, I realized just how tired I was. It was worth it, but I had an incredibly difficult time concentrating on actual work! I much preferred trolling fb for new photos of Lake…

2) It was only AFTER I left that I stopped to realize I didn’t actually get to hold him! How did I miss that?! Naturally, we HAD to go back now.

3) Came back to see Lake, and his super tired trooper parents, and we brought the little guy his first birthday cake. Since we didn’t know what flavor he likes, we just got mom’s fav. :) Also there was the first little man in my life, my nephew Tavin. He’s got a little bro coming his way shortly, so it was so sweet to watch him with that baby. I think he’s going to be one heck of a good big bro! Just a few months til another long[er] post like this!!!

(Not a great pic of me, but I'm not really the star of this post!)

Love & New Life,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment