Saturday, January 28, 2012

Jan 27 - The Day I Was Accosted (and wrote another long post...)

Ok, so maybe accosted is a strong word...but it got you interested, yes? Semantics are the spice of life. :) So, on to what ACTUALLY happened...I work in a building with a gated garage, accessible only with an employer-issued badge. As I was returning from lunch and going to swipe my badge for entrance, I noticed there were two guys waiting in the exit lane, looking a little frustrated. Allergic to all forms of confrontation, I already started getting anxious. They asked me to let them out, and I (self-surprisingly) asked them how they got there in the first place. They admitted that they followed someone in, but now couldn't get out, and they'd really like it if I could just give them my badge to let them exit. I kept pressing, though, asking if they worked here, and they answered with a scoffing laugh and said with a smirk "No. We were looking for a car...not your car though." Well, now that was just irritating. I politely refused to let them pass, but told them I'd call someone to let them out. I pulled through into the garage and second later I heard squealing tires and watched in my rear-view mirror as they quickly reversed, hopped the curb and exited through the gate I had just gone through. Doh.

I walked into work, wondering if I'd done the right thing. Its been a constant battle my whole life; my sense of justice/love of rules and my desire to not be a total dork are always at odds (think "hall monitor"), and this was no exception. Still, I proceeded to tell the receptionist about the encounter and she agreed that we needed to tell security. I was a hero (or a complete failure for letting them get away...)! Well, in my head, anyway. I forgot to mention that I passed two police officers right before entering the garage. I worked up quite a vibrant story in my head about these roustabouts and their unlawful ways. Alas, no news stories of "two guys in a car who look kinda suspicious" made the news.

Highlights:
1) Important lesson learned today: once you have one cookie at snack day, all hope is lost and you might as well eat 10.
2) Had an incredibly unsucessful lunch shopping trip. This included trying on a dress that fit me like a trashbag and some pants that made my lower body look like it was trying to escape the terrible torture trap I'd subjected it to. Naturally, I went and had another cookie.
3) Started a list inspired by this lovely gal: The Pilot's Wife. She's doing a "30 by 30" list, comprised of things she'd like to check off by her 30th. My head started swimming with THAT idea, so I settled for a "12 in '12". I am currently debating on whether or not to take this public....time will tell.

Love & Law-Defending Citizens(or badge-carrying, rule-loving employees),

K

No comments:

Post a Comment